Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Lost a good friend

A very good friend of mine died Tuesday morning. I spent a decent amount of my recent vacation in Mexico with him. His name is Oscar.

I have lost people before, but it's still such an odd feeling, as if I am trying to stand up and I am sure that I can, but each time I fall because my legs refuse to help. It's an odd vacancy.

It's also a happy thing. He is in paradise with Jesus; what could be better? I am sure he is happy to be free from anemia, blood pressure problems,relational problems, and as well he has what he told me he was looking for the most. He is with God.

We spent many late nights praying for each other. I will miss that exceptionally, until I meet him again.

Here is a song I sang the other night at our show, I had no idea how relevant it was going to be.

These are the lyrics and below is the video clip.

I recognized
Why I got so sad
in reading photographs

Even when it's smiles and laughs

I misunderstood the very nature of this place
I thought of this as home,but it's not

Then suddenly
my house looked foreign to me

things I once clung to
no longer holding me

and even my life
seemed so much more willing to be spent

I thought of this as home,
but it's not.

Video - I thought of this as home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan........I found your blog. We will all miss Oscar. I'm glad you and the guys had the opportunity to see him and spend time with him while you were down here. I know he love you guys very much and that your visit ment alot to him. :D

You be good, k

aNa ReBeCa

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but I can tell you've got a good outlook on it, bro; it is a happy thing. I'm reading a book right now that's really helping me deal with the suicide of my friend's brother, it happened almost 3 years ago and i hardly knew him, but it still deeply affects me, and i just read one part where the author expands on that we will not grieve like those who have no hope (from the passage 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

God doesn't say that we won't grieve, for life is hard even on those who follow Christ - Jesus's promise to us is not one of *no* trouble. we will grieve, but not like those who have no hope - as you mentioned, we've hope in Christ.

amen that Oscar knew it.
may you and those who miss him know that as well, now and always.
~ Nina