Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Disconnect

I crash landed, flying with no navigator.
Pulled back my goggles,
To the bleak sand

My boots left marks, as I marched through the desert.
Searching for help
To mend what was crashed.

A copilot or navigator
To aid in flight
I could teach them
I knew how

For years I had looked
Over manuals and memorized.
Took care to learn
To instruct

What good is knowledge,
with no friend to tell?
Sun cooked I
Began to crawl

Until I found her
Excited to see a person
I sat back, squinted up
To see her outstretched hand

My thought was help
The gesture to help me stand

But as my blurred eyes focused
I saw the list.

*2 rings I can be proud of.
*Monthly clothes shopping.
*An outfit for every occasion.
*A cute house.
*A movie night weekly.
*No complaining when I like actors more than my pilot.
*A consistent upgrade in lifestyle.
*Retirement savings.
*Always hold the door.
*A predictable daily schedule.
*The wedding I already planned regardless of who you are.

Discouraged I handed the list back.
"Sorry, Princess" I said.
"I don't know who you’re looking for,
But do you know where I can find a mechanic?"

She didn't answer.
She was already walking away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! What can I say? You said it with such emotional impact. Scripture says it like this: 1 Cor 13:4-5 “Love...is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way.” (It does not produce a list of demands.) Luke 10:27 “You shall love...your neighbor as yourself.” Right after Jesus said this he told the story of the Samaritan who helped the beaten man.